The traditional dental crown procedure requires at least 2 appointments with the dentist and it usually takes at least 2 weeks to restore damaged teeth.With Cerec crown restoration it can be done within 1 visit to your dentist and you’ll leave the office with your tooth and smile fully restored in just a few hours.
What are the differences between Traditional Crowns and same day Cerec Crowns?
For traditional crowns, your dentist takes an impression of your tooth/teeth with a putty like material. Based on your needs,your dentist will decide the most suitable type of crown for you.
There are 3 types of traditional crowns:
- Porcelain/Ceramic:They are tooth coloured crowns,They are the ideal choice for the front teeth to avoid a metallic smile.
- Metal Crowns: They are made with metals or various alloys.They are stronger then porcelain crowns.
- Porcelain Fused to Metal Crowns: They are a combination of porcelain and metal.The outer surface of the crown is usually porcelain for the purpose of looks and the inner surface is metallic for offering a better bond to the tooth.
The doctor then sends the impression of your tooth to the lab to prepare a customized crown for you. This process could take a few weeks and you will need a 2nd appointment to deliver the crown when it is ready. Meanwhile, your dentist glues a temporary crown on to protect the tooth till the permanent crown comes back.The temporary crown is made of resin and may not be that comfortable as it won’t fit perfectly. You will also need to follow diet restrictions so that the temporary crown will not fall off when you chew certain types of food.
In the next appointment the crown is ready, the dentist checks the fit of the crown and makes minor adjustments as needed before its gets permanently glued to your tooth. In some cases, the crown may not fit well and the dentist will have to send it back to the lab to be redone and you will need to schedule another appointment for fixing it.
Same Day Cerec Crowns:
Single day crowns are made of ceramic. they are called chair side crowns or cerec crowns.
They are very popular these days,Thanks to CAD CAM technology which many dentists have embraces. CAD stands for computer aided designing and CAM stands for computer aided manufacturing.
This technology has been perfected over three decades. In this case,everything from tooth preparation to fixing the final crown is done in just a single appointment,with a few hours. There is no need for a temporary crown.
In addition,Cerec crowns save your tooth , the dentist use a special camera called Intra Oral camera to take several 3D images of the tooth. Unlike traditional crowns,no impression of the tooth is needed. The camera is smaller and more comfortable.
With the help of the computer, the dentist designs a 3D image of your tooth and crown with precise measurements. The design is edited for all the precisions such as indentations, ridges,pits and fissures.Once the final design is ready, a milling machine carves a replica of the design to make a crown out of a single ceramic block. It takes only a few minutes for preparing the crown. then, your dentist glues it to your tooth.
Advantages to CEREC crowns:
- Saves your time,there is no need for additional appointments.
- Saves money,You save on appointment costs.
- Comfortable,You skip impressions with gooey putty.
Disadvantages to CEREC Crowns:
- Traditional crowns give you a better smile,they perfect your smile.
- Metal crowns are stronger and resistant to fracture.
- Traditional crowns fit better if there is a fracture below the gum line .
CEREC crowns are the best choice for the following reasons:
- Restoring your looks quickly,your smile is back in just a few hours.
- Preventing injury, no temporary crown has to be placed.
- Preventing decay,dislodges temporary crowns may make room for decay.
- Restoring function immediately,Teeth alter your speech, smile and eating patterns.
How much does a CEREC crown cost :
Same day crowns usually cost about the same as traditional crowns. The fact of that there is no dental lab cost and only one appointment needed helps reduce the cost.In the United States you can expect to pay $800+ for a CEREC crown,this differs depending your location.