At Thompson Dental, we are committed to taking care of your oral health, and that means your jaw health as well. If you experience issues with your jaw, we provide therapy for TMD, which is temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
Our patients can have TMJ problems due to a number of reasons, including:
- Clenching or grinding your teeth.
- Overextending your jaw by opening the mouth too wide.
- Sleeping disorders.
- A head or neck injury.
- Emotional or physical stress.
- Displacement of the joint or a disc, usually brought on by injury directly to the jaw.
We want you to feel better soon. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, let us know:
- Your jaw muscles are stiff or sore when you wake up.
- You have a hard time chewing.
- You feel a clicking or popping in your jaw when chewing.
- You have an old jaw injury that is now causing pain or discomfort.
- You have persistent headaches that are worse in the morning.
Our office can provide a diagnosis to your jaw difficulties, so you can begin exploring treatment options.
Our office provides several treatments to help the TMJ, depending on the cause and severity of the patient’s TMD. Our treatment methods for TMJ include:
- TMJ Splints. A TMJ splint is similar to a custom-designed mouthguard. Depending on your situation, we may recommend a different period of time to wear the splint.
- Mouthguards. Dental mouthguards are designed for quality and comfort, so they can easily be worn while you sleep. The mouthguard repositions the jaw and relieves pressure to help your TMJ rest.
- Botox. One of the newest discoveries about Botox is that the treatments can help relieve TMJ problems! As a great alternative to surgery, Botox provides relief from chronic headaches and other problems caused by TMD.
- Therapy. Some TMD patients respond well to different types of physical therapy. Dr. Sean Thompson is experienced in providing therapy for our more severe TMJ patients.
Your TMD is a unique case. We can explore the causes behind your TMD and use that to recommend a treatment plan for you.